Tuesday, August 28, 2012

About Me

The rain is coming down so hard and frequent outside it has turned the streets into canal-ways. I'm stuck inside listening to the thunder with the occasional flash of lightning thinking about where I want this whole thing to go and how I want to present myself to all of you (if there are any of you).

I've written and erased this post five or six times. Everyone wants to tell the world about themselves in some way, but they don't want to sound lame or narcissistic. I don't want to show the world my insecurities or open myself up for ridicule, but who knows if anyone even reads this anyways (self-deprecating much?!). I want this blog to be more than just pictures and silly anecdotes, I want to communicate with all kinds of people and facilitate conversations and community. I know that sounds incredibly corny, but that's my goal and I feel like I'll achieve it better if I go ahead and shout it from the rafters.

If I'm going to connect with you guys at all I think you need to know a little bit about me. I'm just going to go ahead and do it first-day-of-school style:
My name is Emily.
If I could be anywhere on earth right it would be on a beach with clear water and good friends.
I love to travel. I don't mind airports, flights, delays, getting lost, etc. I love everything about experienceing a new place.
If I could eat an item of food every day it would be ice cream.
The thing I miss the most is the innocence of being a child and feeling limitless.
I have a bachelors degree in English and film studies and a masters degree in creative writing.
My masters was the hardest thing I've ever done; I wrote a manuscript and poured my guts out for strangers.
I'm having my first poem published in a small journal that took a chance on me after 32 straight rejections.
I have a boyfriend who is really tall and constantly reminds me that I'm just as good as anyone else, I just have to work hard and it will show through.
I was born in England to an English father and an American mother, but moved back to America as a baby.
I learned to swim before I learned to talk or walk.
I am a dental assistant: a professional spit sucker.
I love to cook and baking/trying new recipes de-stresses me more than a massage or hot bath.
If I don't go to all of these places before I die I'll be upset: Tahiti, Greece, Hawaii, Brazil, India, Japan, France, etc.
I'm an only child and I like it that way.
I have a lot of hang-ups about my physical and mental self, but there are people out there with a lot more serious things to worry about so I try not to complain!
Naps are great.
I understand the frivolity of possessions and thing like clothes, shoes and makeup, but I still love them and appreciate what they can do for someone's confidence.
I like answering questions for people. I'm not a jerk I promise!

I don't want to go on and on. I'm sure there are a lot of people out there who see a text-only post and immediately close the tab,but I appreciate those who do. It's not always so simple putting yourself out there, but I think it shows you're making an effort. I hope this post wasn't boring or silly, but I felt like there needed to be some thing cleared up and elaborated on so that I can get back to what this blog is all about: stuff I love that I think you'll love too :) Goodnight everyone and thanks for reading

Left: Cool Emily
Right: "Knowing I look silly so I'll just be me" Emily


PS- Follow me on Instagram @elbonner86 to see even further into my life, but don't be creepy :(

No comments:

Post a Comment