Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Fake Bake: My Favorite Sunless Tanners

Fake Bake: My favorite sunless tanners



Benefit bronze makeup / Dr. Dennis Gross Skincare dr dennis gross skincare / Xen Tan sun care, $47 / St Tropez beauty product, $52 / Xen Tan beauty product, $25 / Chocolate Sun Cocoa Glow Sunless Tanning Cream | Spirit Beauty Lounge


I love sunless tanners. All of my friends know that I am the sultan of sunless tans.I have triedsomany that I could have bought a small condo with the money I've spent on the stuff. I am very fair: freckles, blonde hair, blue eyes, visible veins, the works. My skin also likes to turn anything I put on it orange, which is never good, but I've found a few things that don't make me look like burnt macaroni and cheese. 

My favorite "I need to look super dark" product is Xen-Tan's Dark Lotion Absolute Luxe. This stuff has the most DHA of any other lotion assuring you the darkest tan you can get at home. Though I was worried I'd look like an offensive vaudeville act after using it, it was surprisingly natural looking. It gave me a tan I could only achieve by not wearing sunscreen ever. The face tanner is the only face tanner I use. It's not greasy and it doesn't look dirty and gross. No Nutella stained face here!

My second favorite is actually a bronzer. When I don't want to tan my face or I use a lighter tanning formula, I forgo any sunless tanner on my face and use Benefit's Hula bronzer. It's matte, it's dark, but not orange. It's a lovely chocolatey brown color that works on almost all skin tones. 

My favorite lighter formula sunless tanner is Chocolate Sun's Cocoa Glow. This stuff smells like cookies and is all natural, great for people with sensitive skin that can't handle things like Xen-Tan. I actually have this stuff on right now and it's not greasy and soaks in really quickly. This comes in three shades, one for everyone!

My favorite bargain sunless tanner is from Australian Gold. It's like $8 and does the job. This one isn't quite as olive-y going one, but the color is decent for the price. It also keeps your skin moisturized which is hard to find in a sunless tanner since they tend to dry you out. 

For exfoliation and tanning in one stop I grab Dr. Dennis Gross's Alpha Beta Glow Pads. They're available for face and body and leave you not only tan. but glowy and soft. It's really the best of both worlds! I use these when I'm feeling lazy and don't want to have to scrub down every inch of my body.

Last, but not least, my favorite mousse formula is from St. Tropez. This is a celebrity favorite because it's fast, natural and almost never streaks. It have an olive-brown color which tells you what you've covered and what you've missed and soaks in immediately so you're not sweating after you've covered yourself in tanner. I find mousse formulas to be best when I'm going to bed and might get hot. The fact that it soaks in quickly makes it harder to rub off on things. In the morning you shower and wash the color guide off and it looks like you've spent a week at the beach!

I've noticed that with sunless tanners, it's really personal preference. I also occasionally use Mystic tan HD when I'm really pressed for time or just don't feel like rubbing in a bunch of lotion. I've also noticed that the more olive-brown the tanner is, the better the outcome. I hope this helps keep you dark and sexy into the fall and winter and more apt to wear sunscreen in the summer. Stay brown!

No comments:

Post a Comment