Monday, December 3, 2012

Breaking Down and Admitting I Like Hipster Art

I'll be the first to admit I like some pretty hipstery things; I secretly want my boyfriend to get me a record player, I want to ombre my already blonde hair, I feel disgustingly cool when I have things no one else has, and I love art prints.  That being said, I am so glad I found Society6, a website specializing in affordable art prints from lots of unknown and up-and-coming artists (hispter street cred worthy). A lot of it is quirky and weird, not too unlike a Zooey Deschanel interview, but I have found a lot of stuff on there that I like. I have been searching forever for some prints to hang in our bedroom over our bed because right now it's just a gaping wall. I found some large gallery-sized (22"x27") prints for only $30 and I'm so excited to get them! Here's the one I bought tonight (left) and the one I'm planning to hang next to it once I have some disposable money again (right):



















Both prints, "Sunset Breaks" and "Park Plants" are by artist Matthew Korbel-Bowers and I really like all of his stuff, very beachy and cool. Super simple, yet bright and interesting; great for the chilled-out, beach cottage aesthetic I'm going for (god, I might as well start wearing fringe Navajo jackets and free trade bamboo fibre tampons). Hopefully the boyfriend. I also purchased this fun little print that has the ocean on it, so it's really a no-brainer:
"Salt Water Cure" by Tina Crespo will go great in my bathroom or wherever the hell I feel like putting it. I used to dig through heinous prints at TJ Maxx, Target, and Bed Bath and Beyond to find art that was reasonably priced. I even went so far as to just paint some of my own just to get the look I wanted. Society6 has made my goofy art-loving life so much easier on my watch and my wallet and I plan on getting more prints when I can. Now if only my ancient apartment walls weren't made of petrified plaster we'd be in business. Check them out and buy something that makes you look cool!

No comments:

Post a Comment