Friday, January 4, 2013

New Year, New Room

It's a damn shame that I've avoided hanging pictures with two hooks at all costs for fear of making them crooked. It recently came to my attention that the walls in my apartment had been bare for well too long and needed sprucing up. After a picture purchase that I talked about in a previous post, I decided it was time to be a big girl and learn the correct way to hang my pictures. I came across an ingenious post on Apartment Therapy, which is one of my go-to places for everything concerning decor. I found this post about how to hang pictures with two hooks perfectly every time and it was SO EASY. I was kicking myself for waiting so long to hang stuff up and reduced myself to having framed pictures leaning on tables or hidden behind my desk. I hadn't even hung up my degrees, but after an hour I looked like I had a totally new apartment!

Yes, I know one is crooked, but that was operator error and not the fault of Apartment Therapy! It has since been fixed and everything looks so professional and neat. Those degrees were on the floor wrapped in some serious bubble wrap and now they make me look totally smart and put together on my wall. I hung the Society6 pictures above my bed since we have nothing but bare walls in there. Take a gander at this:

Oh-so wonderful! It feels like a real home now and now that I've got these all hung perfectly we have to stay forever. It really blows my mind how much art changes the way you feel in certain rooms. Two winters ago, I was hitting the Seasonal Affective Disorder hard and wanted something bright to cheer me up. I looked online forever to find what I wanted and decided just to paint my own triptych to go on the big wall in my living room. I made it super neon and angular and it really does the trick. I get lots of compliments on them too and all I did was tape off stripes and other designs to make something fun.
 Don't mind the strange man on the sofa, this was just the best (only) picture I had of my self-made art. It was just done with elementary school tempura paint and some $5 canvases from Michaels Arts and Crafts. So if you're bored with your house you don't need fancy prints, just make your own! Try out the hanging technique and enjoy a house full of well-hung (herher) art!

No comments:

Post a Comment