Monday, March 11, 2013

Saving Face: Favorite Facial Sunscreens

It was a beautiful weekend weather-wise and guess whose ass got sunburned? ME! I was out of town and forgot my usual facial sunscreen and was quickly reminded how important it is to protect your face! I'm "blessed" with the thinnest and most easily burnt facial skin on the planet. It gets dry and itchy if I get too much sun so sunscreen is my saving face (huh huh!) in the spring, summer and early fall. Here are a few of my favorites that I use interchangeably depending on the day and activity:

(photo: skinceuticals.com)
1. Skinceuticals Sheer Physical UV Defense SPF 50: This stuff is the BUSINESS. I love it; I've bought it a million times and I've never been burned when I've used it. It's great for normal-to-oily skin and has never made me break out. I use this sunscreen in conjunction with a vitamin CE Ferulic acid serum (super antioxidant!) to give my skin some serious protection while also reversing my past sun damage. This stuff is recommended by lots of dermatologists because it is gentle and gross-chemical free which makes this a good bet for everyone.

(photo: Coola.com)
2. Coola face SPF 30 Cucumber Matte Finish Sunscreen: If you tend to get shiny and greasy from other mineral sunscreens, this stuff will make your life a whole lot easier. Coola is a great company that focuses on keeping your skin protected naturally with mineral sunscreens and it's fancy "Plant UV" technology. They come in scented, tinted, and unscented varieties, but I like this cucumber one because it's very refreshing in hot weather! Great for sensitive and oily skin; it won't run in your eyes and stays put!

(photo: SunBum)
3. Sun Bum PRO spf 50 Premium Endurance Sunscreen: This stuff is what I use for strenuous outdoor activities that require the sun to be on my face for a long-ass time. I use this when I go backpacking, surfing, boat trips, long runs; anything where I'm going to be out and doing something sweaty. This won't get into your eyes which is a HUGE source of uncontrollable anger for me. Nothing makes me want to punch a stranger more than having my sunscreen burn my eyes like a thousand fiery volcanoes. It's a mineral and chemical sunscreen, but oxybenzone free, which is something I like to keep off of myself since it can irritate my face.

(photo: Sephora)
4. Shiseido Ultimate Sun Protection Cream SPF 50+: If my skin is being dry and finnicky, this is the stuff I go for. Asia is in love with sunscreen and, in my humble opinion, Shiseido has the best of the bunch. They come in very high spf's, they have stick sunscreen, high spf foundations, and even high spf eye creams; these people love their friggin' sunscreen. This stuff stays on really well and doesn't leave me with any post-sun exposure dryness that some mattifying mineral sunscreens can. 

Just For Fun
(photo: Zinka)
*Zinka Colored Nosecoat: Now, I use this stuff in the flesh/tan color to cover up my tattoos to keep them from fading in the sun, but if I wasn't constantly aware of people's judgmental stares,I would wear this in a fun color like hot pink or neon green. If you have giant, inconcealable balls and want to protect your skin beneath layers of neon sunscreen then go for it! I promise I won't make fun of you!

I hope this helps keep your face protected and fresh as a baby's. With the proliferation of bronzers and awesome facial sunless tanners, loading up on the sunscreen is inexcusable. You can make a lighter face match a bit of a darker body (that's usually my case). Try out some of these sunscreens and be forever young!

No comments:

Post a Comment