Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Things That Heal

Things That Heal
Things That Heal by elbonner featuring ahava

It's getting to that time of year when you're going to be showing off a lot more skin than you have in months. If you are anything like me, you may have neglected your skin a bit in favor of sitting, eating, and watching X-Files reruns all winter, but it's time to soak up that vitamin D! My skin is neglected; if there were skin protective services, they would have taken my skin away to a home that could better care for it a long time ago, but not before I bust out my secret "blow your nads off" spring/summer skin savers! 

1. Lucas' Paw Paw Ointment: A bit like petroleum jelly, this stuff helps heal cuts and scrapes while also providing a protective moisture barrier for cracked skin. I have horrible dry skin left over from a winter full of work-related hand washing and this is helping mend the cracks.

2. Burts Bees Coconut Foot Cream: Not so much a cream as it is an ointment, this stuff needs to be put on with the idea that you need to put sockson afterwards. It's sticky, but really does the trick.I put this on before bed, throw on some socks, and wake up with smooth feet. Because ain't nobody want to see your crusty feet ruining a cute pair of sandals!

3. Earth's Best Non-Petroleum Jelly: I don't like using petroleum jelly because it's a byproduct of crude oil refinement aka the sludge at the bottom of the barrel. Luckily, there are a bunch of plant-based products that work in the same way, but without using petroleum as a base.

4. Badge Balm Bali Balm: If you are a person with skin, you will ecru some sort of sun damage this spring because everyone assumes that sunscreen is for summer, not spring. WRONG! If you do screw up and get burned, slather on some of this stuff and keep your skin for peeling and get to healing (so proud of that one). Badge balm is great for all sorts of stuff. I bring their sore muscle balm when I go backpacking to sooth angry shoulders and every one that I have tried has been awesome. 

5. Lush H'Suan Wen Hua Hair Treatment: I bought this on a whim about 13 years ago, before Lush was even available in the US of A at the location in Cambridge whilst visiting family in England. From then on, I was a Lush convert. This stuff, after placed on dry hair and left on for about an hour, made my frizzy mess of heat damaged hair super soft, shiny and manageable. Get some, you won't regret it!

6. Aveeno Skin Strengthening Body Lotion: I try and try to find body lotions that keep my ungodly dry skin from looking like a drought-ridden corn field. I try expensive stuff, I try hard-to-find stuff, but I always come crawling back to Aveeno. It really is the only lotion that keeps me moisturized for 24 hours and this formula helps thin skin (check) beef up a bit.

7. Ahava Mineral Hand Cream: We use a similar formula to this hand cream at my office and it moisturizes and heals the hell out of your hands due to the dead sea minerals. It stays on after at least one washing and helps keep you from getting cracked knuckles. I keep this by my bed, and when I remember I put it on so that once I get toasty warm it will really sink into my hands.

8. Egyptian Magic: BEES! Bees make life possible and everyone should worship them. If it weren't for bees there would be now Egyptian Magic cream! Supposedly based on something Cleopatra liked a bagillion years ago, it's full of royal jelly and olive oil to help moisturize and heal things like cuts and sunburns. Honey is known to be very healing and this stuff has a cult, almost hive-like following! (I really can't help myself)

9. Burts Bees Lemon Cuticle Butter: Slap this stuff on your cuticles before bed and wake up to lovely nails. I never knew I had bad cuticles until a very vocal Korean manicurist told me how dry they were, over and over again, I decided to invest in this cream. Smells like a lemon bar too!

10. Mary Kay Satin Hands: This is a great set for people who want a hand-care system all together in a cute tote bag. If Mary Kay leaves you with memories of powder pink compacts and blue eyeshadow-filled neighborhood makeover parties, throw that all aside.This system is great for your hands and my mom and I have sworn by it for years, I tell you! It contains a vaseline-like cream, and exfoliator, and a final hand cream. This makes your hands super soft and smelling like peaches (or nothing if you like to be boring).

Hope this helps get your entire being back into tip-top shape before you force people to look at your naked skin all summer. Make the world jealous of your radiance and get it on with some dermic healing!

No comments:

Post a Comment