Monday, September 16, 2013

Book Learnin: Fall Book List

Book Learnin: Fall Book List

Book Learnin: Fall Book List by elbonner on Polyvore

A little over a year ago, I ended what was the most reading-filled time in my entire life. Both of my English degrees required me to do an almost unbelievable amount of reading. So much so that I have no idea how I got a fraction of it actually done. The only problem with that whole part of my life was that I was so burnt out on reading stuff for class that I had little-to-no interest or energy to read anything that I really wanted to. I gave my brain a break for a while, but now that I pass all the student busily rushing to class (late) on my way to work, I find myself yearning for learning! Since I don't have the cash right now for a fun community college course I'm hitting the books hard! I've rediscovered how important just sitting and reading a book is. It's been so long since I've been able to live vicariously through a book, I needs my reads! Other than clever puns, this post is about what I have on my fall reading list and I want to share them with you, my faithful readers!

1. Ulysses by James Joyce: Touted as being the greatest novel of the 20th century, I was embarrassed to have two English degrees without reading this crazy book. I have always been very intimidated by this book, seeing as how most people have a really hard time comprehending it because of Joyce's insane style, but I'm up for the challenge!

2. Big Sur by Jack Kerouac: I'm just now rereading On The Road and I had forgotten just how fun Kerouac is. My fall state-of-mind seems to hang around that central California golden haze, dotted with empty beaches and VW vans. I haven't had the chance to read a lot of Kerouac and thought this would be a good fall read. Coolness guaranteed.

3. The Captain's Verses by Pablo Neruda: Everyone should sit and read Neruda with their cup of tea or coffee in the morning to remind themselves how beautiful life is. One of my greatest wishes is to one day wake up and be able to see the world through his eyes and accompanied by his words. His poems make you laugh, smile, cry, blush, you name it. I like to recommend Neruda to people who say they don't like poetry because, to me, he's impossible not to love. He makes love poems for real human beings!

4. One Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel Garcia Marquez: Marquez is a mad man. What goes on inside of his head is a marvel of modern science, but a wonderful one at that. If you want to get lost in an intricate world of details, fun, and craziness, I would absolutely read his work. I have only gotten a few pages into this one and I already know it's going to be a favorite. 

Book recommendations are good, reading what you want is great, but reading whatever you can is even better. I was not that kind of person growing up, writing more than I ever read and I still regret it to this day. I missed so many lazy afternoons curled up with a book, I have a lot of catching up to do! So, instead of spending a dreary autumn Sunday wondering what to do with your life, head to the library, bookstore, or fire up your Kindle and get some pages under your belt. You will never regret knowledge! Read away!!

No comments:

Post a Comment