Monday, December 2, 2013

Budge The Pudge: A New Holiday Tradition

I messed up guys. I went full-on crazy at Thanksgiving and ate way more than any person should. Probably more than a professional sumo wrestler. Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday and I usually go pretty hard, but I don't know what possessed me to eat as much as I did. After Friday (or what my boyfriend and I call Second Thanksgiving) I was feeling like garbage and knew I needed to slow my roll on the food train. On Sunday I ate a good breakfast, drank lots of water, had a light lunch, and then had the worst workout I think I've ever had in my entire life. I hadn't done many HIIT workouts since I started lifting a lot, and the first one after my hiatus was truly pathetic. I was so mad at myself; I couldn't believe I let myself pig out so badly that week. After an hour of reeming myself out, I got tired of the negativity and in a moment of quiet boredom, I came up with something to keep me going and positive until Christmas (baby steps, people!). I saw Goldfish Kiss (I swear I'm not stalking you) did a post where she made a bikini advent calendar to keep the beach spirit alive during the summer months. Now, since I'd rather watch Glitter a thousand times rather than be in a bikini right now, I came up with a different kind of advent calendar. I call it...


Instead of rewarding yourself for surviving another day with a piece of waxy chocolate, Healthy Advent Calendar has 25 cards all with a different activity that I choose and MUST do each day. It can be an exercise, food related, or just something I should do to keep me sane that I don't do enough of. It's doable things that will only make my life better which is the beauty of Healthy Advent Calendar.

#25 was something that needed to be done yesterday. I was so upset over something that was nothing more than a fitness hissy fit. EVERYONE has bad days, and giving yourself a load of grief isn't going to make that cruddy workout any better. I forgave myself by drinking tea and reading a magazine. No hard feelings! Today was "Add and extra set to every exercise" which I did by completing my video workout without any break or stops. I kept up with the eerily smiling fitness ladies for the first time ever! I'll probably do some squats/push-ups later, but instead of 50 each, I'll do 100! Who knows, all this positive thinking is doing me a favor. The main goal is keeping on track, and something like this reminds me to work at it every day. 

If you want to make your own Healthy Advent Calendar, just cut out 25 squares of paper and write a little daily goal on each square. Number them, or pick them at random for a surprise everyday! I made a cool pocket envelope for mine, but a Ziploc bag will do just fine too. Pick one every morning during breakfast and vow to complete said task before the day is over. By Christmas, you will feel better than you would have if you just let yourself eat all of the cookies at work. Being healthy at holiday time is tough, but little things like this do help. Happy holidays everyone, no matter what you celebrate!


 

No comments:

Post a Comment