Sunday, January 13, 2013

Keep It Fresh: Homemade Face Masks

(photo: life123.com)

Around this time of year my skin decides to turn against me and become a flaky, irritated, and dry mess. I hate it more than anything and it makes wearing any sort of powder-based makeup a disaster from the fiery pits of hell. The only thing that helps my face is babying it whenever I get the chance so I do a lot of masks. Store bought masks seem to fall into two different categories: 1. Cheap, single-use masks that have questionable ingredients and just don't work, 2. Really expensive masks available in stores like Sephora that cost like $50 a bottle,  $50 I could be spending or saving for something else. I have decided that unless a masks can deliver perfect skin guaranteed, I'm going to make all of my face masks at home. I'm going to share with you some of my favorite homemade masks that keeps my bitchy skin in check.

Yogurt Turmeric Mask
2 Tbsp. Plain (IT MUST BE PLAIN) Yogurt (full-fat is best)
1 tsp.Turmeric powder

Throw the ingredients into a bowl, mix until fully incorporated and brush onto your face with an cheapy foundation brush. Leave on for 10-15 minutes and rinse afterwards. This mask is great for calming your skin down when it's acting a fool. The lactic acid in the yogurt softens your skin and eats away the flakes while the turmeric, a natural anti-inflammatory, calms redness and other things like wind/sun burn.

Honey Aspirin Mask
1 UNCOATED Aspirin tablet
1Tbsp. Honey (Raw is best)

Crush the Apsirin tablet with the back of a spoon. Pour honey over tablet and mix. Apply to face and leave on for 5-10 minutes. Aspirin is almost totally salicylic acid which is a major ingredient in acne medicine. It exfoliates the skin while the honey helps to soothe and act as an antibacterial agent. So while the aspirin eats the stuff out of your pores, the honey works its way in to kill all the nasties. Of course, if you have an Aspirin allergy DO NOT use this mask. You will die or ruin your face.

Oatmeal Yogurt Mask
1 Tbsp. Oat flour 
2 Tbsp. Plain Yogurt

Mix together and leave on for 15-20 mins. Oatmeal helps keep in moisture and calm irritation, that's why you use it when you get chicken pox. If you don't have oat flour, just blend rolled oats in a blender or coffee grinder until you get a semi-fine powder.

Green Tea Coconut Oil Mask

1 tsp. Matcha powder (green tea powder)
1 Tbsp. Extra Virgin Coconut Oil

Mix the two ingredients together. Coconut oil hardens at below 76 degrees Fahrenheit so if need be, heat the jar up in a bowl of hot water until liquidy. DO NOT MICROWAVE, it kills all the good stuff! Green tea has every benefit on the planet, including calming down your red-ass face and I'm convinced that coconut oil is damn well the blood of Christ. It moisturizes, it clarifies, it kills bacteria and is smells of coconuts, what more could you people want?! I would leave this on for 5-10 mins and do so lying down as this could drip if you applied too much. Keep the application thin and wear a shirt you don't mind getting oil-stained and have a towel handy.

Well, now you know all of my secrets. Are you happy now?! I should hope so. Once you have these ingredients you can make masks for pennies-on-the-dollar instead of lining the pockets of the 1%. Get crafty and gorgeous at the same time!

No comments:

Post a Comment